Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Mustard Seed of Faith

Yesterday, while opening my house gate to park my car, an elderly woman and her 16 year old daughter of chinese descent walked past my gate. I acknowledged them because they are from the same church. The elderly woman started talking to me after recalling that I was in the same church as them. She started telling me her sad story. I know some of the stories from other BEC members about this poor family. The husband of the woman passed away about 2 years ago, he had been dealing with long term illness. Since then, I heard that her daughter gave birth to a baby girl at 15, out of wedlock and then the mother ended up owing the loan shark some money because she was helping a friend out, or something. But the lady shocked me by telling me she has converted to Islam.

She related how she needed financial help and went begging some BEC members and also met the priest but was reprimanded instead. Furthermore, some BEC members went around telling bad things about her to everyone. She ended up sourcing the money she needed desperately from a Datuk staying at our Taman and got financial help and groceries from him and some others. Apparently because of that she and her family converted to Islam. Of course I took everything she said with a grain of salt. To be fair, I believe BEC members did try to help her and the priest/s also have advised her and her daughters on their conduct and for missing Mass, etc.. I think the priest and the BEC members did not really believe all her stories and therefore were reluctant to help her. But I still tried to console her by telling her she should ignore those people and place her trust in God alone. I also told her to follow her heart, if she felt that she wants to be a muslim, then she should follow her heart.

I think this happened in the span of about 1 month. I am taken aback and saddened by how easily people can be converted, how little faith they have. I am sorry I didn't manage to help them or show them compassion when they were in need. And I think the BEC and the church could have shown more compassion for the family. However, I hope God will help them in their chosen path and they may be able to have a more stable life.
The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you. Luke 17:5-6.


I think Christians should always maintain a personal relationship with God and Jesus through prayers and the Bible, etc. Do not reject Christ because of Christians themselves or how Christians behave or how the church is. Men will always fail you but GOD will never forsake you. God, please plant the mustard seed of faith in us and point the faith to the right direction for all you have called, Amen.

No comments: