Thursday, June 21, 2012

Heating up my Kitchen

Bak Chang (Meat Dumplings) season is back. Can't believe a year has flown by so quickly. I remember writing here about my bak chang making last year. This year, I am going to take the lead instead of my MIL. I have most of the ingredients and other stuff ready for this Saturday. I have the bamboo leaves left over from last year. I bought fatty 3 layer pork belly & lap cheong (chinese sausages) yesterday. Chestnuts, pulut rice and other dried stuffs I bought them last night at the supermarket. I will start tonight, marinating and soaking some ingredients in time to start the cooking, wrapping and boiling process on Saturday.

Pic form last year's Chang making.
I am really happy that I can start cooking and making stuff at home again since things are getting more settled at home with my new baby. I like cooking, especially traditional types of food. Always feel that we need to keep the tradition going. Bak Chang is not that hard to make, only require lots of work. Ingredients have to be prepared earlier then precooked separately. Then need to wrap them in pre-soaked and washed bamboo leaves and tied up nicely before boiling them for 3 hours. I don't know how many dumplings I will be able to make from 2 kg of pulut rice. I already got in mind some people I want to give the dumplings to.

This Sunday evening, we gonna have a small pot luck with my family members, mum, sis and bro and their families will be here. I will prepare maybe fried bee hoon and curry chicken while my mum will buy otak-otak and sis will cook mee rebus. My house will be really crowded and noisy on Sunday with happy big and small people...


No comments: