Thursday, May 19, 2011

Modern Parenting

My kids are a bunch of quarrelsome lot. They drive me nuts sometimes. I am especially worried about my youngest, she is getting to be very bad tempered. You cannot scold her, she will shout at you and cry at a volume that you couldn't believe can come out from a 3 year old.   When she is nice, she is a darling but when she is upset, she is really an earful. She even swears, in (broken) malay! Example of her swearing, "lu siapa, lu berak dalam seluar!". Guess she is picking up these bad traits from somewhere, mostly from her brothers and some from the parents. She does take a little after me but she brings it to another level entirely!

My middle son, he is just plain loud and obnoxious, always getting what he wants and snatching things from his brother and sister. My eldest, he is more mellow in comparison but may display extreme anger when really upset. He still worries me a lot because he is always so listless, leave things everywhere and losing stuff all the time. He is also very, very mischievous, doing weird things that he knows will get him in trouble. 3 kids with 3 different characteristics, we don't really know what to do. *SIGH*

I have bought some books on parenting for my hubby's birthday present. Hopefully, we will learn some good technics on how to bring up good kids. Parenting nowadays is not like my parents' times, you need to learn how to deal with today's kids who are more exposed to knowledge and information, both good and bad. It's not like the dungu kids we were 20 years ago (By the way, for those who are curious about my age, it's 28. My aging machine broke down at 28, so forever 28). So we have to read more, research more and pray more :).

Received the iPad this week, after about 2 weeks + from ordering it online. Great looking piece of machine (I bought the white one) and works great. Did have a little trouble getting iTunes to detect it properly. I called for techinical help from Apple and it was a pleasant experience. Nice lady and very professional. The matter has since been resolved with a little plugging in and out of device and network cables.

Going to make this iPad a reward for the kids when they are well-behaved! We have to resort to threats and treats to get them to behave, and it works, sometimes. We learnt this from Nanny 911 which I mentioned before in a much earlier posting. We give stars for deeds that they do and thumbs down for misdeeds. Over the months, this process has not been upkept properly, it's time we reinstated it and keep it consistent. I read that consistency is important when dealing with kids, guess we as parents have to work extremely hard to ensure consistency in the ways we treat and deal with our kids. Daddy, I know you read this, CONSISTENCY is the key, work with me!

No comments: