Thursday, June 30, 2011

Clean and Fair - What is wrong with that?


Can anybody tell me what's wrong with wanting something to be clean and fair? That is what BERSIH 2.0 is about - clean and fair election. So I cannot comprehend why such a noble cause can be turned into something ugly. Their 8 demands, make perfect sense to me (but perhaps they are idealistic and cannot be achieved all at once). I don’t think there is anything wrong for lay citizens to demand these fundamentals for a democracy. I think the Government is over reacting in this fiasco. Comeon, how can a peaceful march harm the country? Some businesses are complaining it will affect their business, what about those numerous marathons and marches or parades that we have done before in the past? Certain roads in KL were closed too, that one no one complain meh? I am sure there were complaints but they were not highlighted. Come on lah, this is call selective reporting.


Before March 2008, I was rather ignorant about the politics of the country, I didn't even vote that year (because I just delivered my baby that time) but ever since that tsunami, I begin to pay more attention to what is happening in this arena. Coupled with many other factors, like TBH, Alanthuya, rampant corruption, Sodomy II, etc., you cannot but take notice. What is Malaysia coming to? If this is not corrected, Malaysia can only get worse. Some people ‘solve’ the problem by leaving the country and call somewhere else home. But for those who cannot or do not want to leave, we should all care to make our beloved country better, not worse. What could be done? BERSIH is an important start. If you still think that the country is fine must, you must be in LALA land. If you think that we are not that bad, well, can we afford to wait until we are THAT bad?  

For those who think that BERSIH 2.0 march could lead to a riot and lead to the overthrow of the Government, I think the idea is too farfetched. Malaysia has not reached such a stage as Egypt or Tunisia yet, but we are on our way there if we are not careful. I totally respect Datuk Ambiga, she is such a brave and smart lady (I wish a lot more people will be like her). And she has assured that this is a peaceful march, so why are the police overreacting, arresting people for no apparent reason? Even wearing yellow now is forbidden? Can my children still watch Spongebob Squarepants? Maybe ban yellow pages? Is this a lawless country? I didn't care for yellow so much until now, it's my new favourite colour! Shall I spot it for the weekend shopping trip?

Till then, let's listen to the Beatles:

No comments: